The piece of Michigan’s health order Gov. Gretchen Whitmer violated this weekend will not be part of the new rules starting June 1, although Whitmer said the decision to cut it was made “long before” this weekend.

Photos circulated Sunday, May 23 of Whitmer at a table inside an East Lansing bar with 12 others. The current Michigan Department of Health and Human Services health order limits restaurants to six customers per table.

Whitmer apologized Sunday and Monday, calling it an “honest mistake.”

“It was a group of 100% vaccinated people, tables were moved together and I really didn’t think about it – and I should have. So I apologize for that. I hope that leaders … when you make a mistake, fess up to it and do better.”

Whitmer announced last week that changes would be coming to the MDHHS health order, but the new order wasn’t released until Monday, May 24. The elimination of the six-per-table rule was planned before this weekend’s incident, Whitmer said.

Starting June 1, outdoor capacity limits and restrictions for residential gatherings will be removed. For non-residential indoor spaces, they’ll be limited to 50% in most cases.

The 11 p.m. restaurant curfew will be lifted and common areas – like dance floors and pool-table areas – can reopen. Groups no longer have to be seated six feet apart and tables won’t be limited to six customers, anymore. Contact tracing will still be required at restaurants, however.

To read the full list of MDHHS rules starting June 1, click here.

On July 1, all MDHHS restrictions will be lifted. While Michigan’s COVID-19 cases have dropped dramatically since the spring surge, it still leads the U.S. in most cases, hospitalizations and deaths per person in the past week, per the New York Times.

“We don’t want to drop everything at once and assume life is back to normal. We’re still living with COVID. We have to recognize that and make a (gradual) change,” Whitmer said. “July 1, we will be back to normal. And that’s a good thing.”

The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration also released new rules for workplaces on Monday.

Asked if Landshark Bar & Grill – where Whitmer was photographed with the group this weekend – should be fined, Whitmer said businesses trying to do the right thing shouldn’t be punished.

MIOSHA has cited more than 280 workplaces for COVID-19 violations throughout the pandemic, although the agency has received more than 15,000 complaints. Some Republicans have called on MIOSHA to rescind all COVID-19 fines.

“We have specifically not gone forward and penalized businesses that are trying to do the right thing,” Whitmer said. “It’s those that have flouted (the rules) and put peoples’ safety at risk that are the most concerning.”

RELATED STORIES

Gov. Whitmer apologizes after photo shows her violating own COVID-19 order at Lansing bar

Michigan to lift outdoor COVID-19 restrictions June 1, indoor capacity limits July 1

Michigan abandons plans to create permanent COVID-19 rules

Hospitals, stores, restaurants among 51 Michigan businesses fined for COVID-19 violations

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here