ANN ARBOR, MI – Community High School in Ann Arbor was briefly evacuated after a small fire started inside the school Tuesday morning.

Fire crews were called at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday, June 1, to the school for a fire alarm that had activated within the building causing the school to be evacuated, according to the Ann Arbor Fire Department.

Crews arrived to find a small fire had sparked inside the building which was caused by a construction crew welding while working on renovations to the school, officials said.

The damaged caused by the fire, which was quickly extinguished, was minimal and the building was deemed safe to be reoccupied within an hour, officials said.

One person was taken to an area hospital to be treated for a medical emergency unrelated to the fire, officials said.

The Ann Arbor Fire Department commended Ann Arbor Public Schools for its efficiency in evacuating the building and assisting firefighters at the scene.

More from MLive:

Garage burns to ground in after midnight fire in Ann Arbor

Michigan Secretary of State wants $25 million to catch up on COVID-19 backlog

Judge to weigh release of exhibits in Gov. Gretchen Whitmer kidnap plot

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here