FLINT, MI – The Flint family home of automotive industrialist and philanthropist Charles Stewart Mott is reopening the gardens and grounds for the first time in more than a year after a hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Located at 1400 E. Kearsley St., the Applewood Estate will be open on Fridays and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free and the estate will remain open through October.

Guests are welcomed to enjoy the gardens and grounds, which include the Perennial Garden, the Rose Garden, the Demonstration Garden, the Discovery Trail, and the namesake heirloom Apple Orchard, during all open hours.

A self-guided garden tour – “What’s in Bloom” – and self-guided mindfulness activities will be available at the Visitor Service desk, according to a news release.

However, all buildings at the Applewood Estate will be closed for the season and house tours will not be offered due to the pandemic.

A virtual tour of the house and grounds is available online at applewood.org.

The Taste of Applewood program, in which visitors are given a taste of a produce made with ingredients grown at the estate will also be returning this year. The program continues Applewood’s legacy as a gentleman’s farm as the Mott’s grew and raised much of what they consumed.

As part of Applewood’s health and safety guidelines, guests are required to wear face masks only in the entrance and exit gate area and anyplace they can’t maintain six feet apart from other parties. Otherwise, visitors are welcome to remove their masks outdoors at the estate.

The entrance and exit gate off the Visitor Parking Lot will be open for guests while the gate on Kearsley St. will be temporarily closed.

Applewood Estate was built in 1916 by Mott, one of the earliest and longest-serving leaders of General Motors. The estate is operated by the Ruth Mott Foundation and located between the Flint Cultural Center and Mott Community College.

The transformation of the estate from a family home to a community resource was the vision of Mott’s wife, Ruth Mott, who wanted to open it in honor of her late husband and his significant contributions to Flint and the automotive industry.

The estate was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and received an official Michigan Historical Marker in 2016.

Read more on MLive:

Michigan wolf council would be limited to Upper Peninsula residents under Senate-passed bill

Ruth Mott foundation extends north Flint strategic plan through 2025

Mid-Michigan nonprofit chapter gives back by building beds for kids in need

United Way of Genesee County launches Summer Stock Up food drive for local pantries

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here