LEELANAU COUNTY, MI – Police have identified a Michigan man who was electrocuted while working on a wood burning project in Leelanau County.

Paul Edward “Champ” Champion, 63, of Traverse City, died at a home in the 400 block of North Lincoln Street in Suttons Bay just after 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 5.

Deputies from the Leelanau County Sheriff’s Office and Suttons Bay EMS responded to the scene to find Champion unresponsive.

“Those who knew Paul, even in passing, lost a shining light in their lives. We know Paul will be loved in heaven as much as he was loved on earth,” his obituary reads. Paul’s love and friendship, kindness and generosity, will be deeply missed by family and his extended family of friends.”

It was determined that Champion had been working on an art/wood burning project when something went wrong, causing the electrocution, police said.

Efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful. The incident remains under investigation pending results of an autopsy, police said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here