This is a delicious beer-steamed mussels recipe with Tasso and spring onions by Chef Steve McHugh, of Cured, San Antonio, TX.
How to Prepare the Mussels:
- In a sauté pan large enough to hold all of your ingredients, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat.
- Sauté the Tasso Ham along with the white parts of the garlic and onions for 3 minutes.
- Add the mussels and sauté for one minute longer.
- Next, pour in the remaining half of Pabst Blue Ribbon and cover the pan with a large enough sauté pan to steam.
- After two minutes, check to see if mussels have started opening. You may have to toss them around a bit.
- When all the mussels have opened, finish with tomatoes, green tops, butter, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with your favorite sour dough and a side of fries.
How to Make Tasso Ham:
Chef’s Note: Makes more than you will need for the mussels, but it is great to have on hand.
- Cut the pork butt into 3 to 4 pieces.
- Mix together all of the seasoning ingredients and rub the pork butt completely.
- Place on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for 3 days.
- Place the Tasso in your hot smoker and smoke for about 4 hours at 170°F until done.